Get My Books at Amazon

Friday, November 30, 2012

Zombies, Trolls, and Piercings, Oh My!

I love 28 Days Later. It's my favorite zombie movie (George Romero fans everywhere a calling a Judas). Part of the reason that I enjoy it as much as I do is probably because it was such an intense viewing experience for me the first I saw it. I'd just gotten a snug piercing.
This is a rook piercing
The "snug" piercing is the the thick part. Not the three ones in the lobe.
I love 28 Days Later. It's my favorite zombie movie (George Romero fans everywhere a calling a Judas). Part of the reason that I enjoy it as much as I do is probably because it was such an intense viewing experience for me the first I saw it. I'd just gotten a snug piercing.

The snug piercing was the most painful thing I've ever done, yet stupidly, I went on to get a rook piercing a few months later.(I'd always thought they were both rooks, but in research just now, I discovered they were different things. I was also unable to find a picture of of anyone that had a rook & a snug in the same ear, so apparently, I'm the only one stupid enough to do that).

Neither of the piercings fully healed. They frequently got infection and were full of problems. I had them for something like 5 years, and that entire time I could never sleep on my left side (the side the peircings were on). Taking them out was probably the smartest thing I ever did.

But anyway. I got the piercing, and I went to the movie. I don't know if you've ever watched a zombie on the big screen while you're in huge amounts of pain, but it's very intense.

Zombies freak me out. A lot. There's current trend in literature to humanize that I'm super into. The point of zombies is that they're a senseless mass. They don't feel pain. They don't feel remorse. They can't be reasoned with.. Their hunger is never satiated. And no matter how many you kill, there's always a thousand more waiting behind them. That is terrifying.

It also makes them the most awesome monster because they're so unstoppable. You can't ever really defeat zombies. You can kill some, but there will always be more. You can only hope to hide out somewhere long enough you to catch your breath.

Since I'm afraid of zombies, it probably seems weird that I would write about them.

But then you consider that I'm super terrified of trolls (like I have to check under my bed to make sure they're not hiding under my bed like Cat's Eye or Earnest Scared Stupid to this day). I do not like trolls. They're gonna live in my walls and steal my stuff and kill my pets and then one day murder me. 

I'm also frightened of the ocean. Not immensely so, but I assume there are monsters in there that are going to eat. I am afraid of sharks, but that's not even what I fear so much as like some weird sea creature with ten billion teeth and Angler Fish. You find one thing more terrifying looking than the Angler Fish. You can't. They are monsters.

One of my favorite movies is Labyrinth, but to this day, I'm frightened of the goblins. I'm actually scared of at least 50% of Jim Henson's creations. I used to have nightmares about Sam Eagle.

So given all this, it seems a bit strange that I'd write books about zombies and the ocean and trolls. But since I like Jim Henson and 28 Days Later, maybe I like being frightened.

No. I do not like to be frightened. Not all. But I am obsessed with my fears. I'm really incredibly neurotic. So all of my thoughts naturally go to the things I fear most, like zombies, trolls, dying alone, Christian Bale. (I'm also terrified of Christian Bale. People mistake my obsession with him for a crush, but it's really terror).

Every book I write about is just me working through my fears. You guys are all part of my therapy. Thank you everyone. You've been very helpful through this time, and I've actually been able to stand in my room with the lights off without being certain that a tiny troll with a very strong grip is going to reach out from under the bed and grab my ankle.

The moral of the story: 28 Days Later is a very good movie. The zombies are awesome, the cinematography is wonderful, and Cillian Murphy is the greatest.

(Another side note: My favorite part of all of The Dark Knights Rises was Cillian's cameo. I squealed aloud in the theater, but I think everyone around me was cool with it, because they'd been clapping a lot. They clapped 5 times during Batman Begins at the trilogy viewing at the AMC I was at. Five times. I was like, "Dude. This is a movie. Christopher Nolan can't hear you, and right now you're applauding over the dialogue so I can't hear Cillian Murphy talk.")

37 comments:

  1. I met your cousin today! Robert? Haha. Not stalking you, promise, I just went to the bank and we started talking about books, and your name came up! Small world, huh?

    Anyway, LOVE 28 Days Later. So freaky. I don't think I could watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zombies are scary awesome. I never want those kind of piercings, just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing, obviously why I follow your blog.....but I have to say. I HATE 28 Days later. Got suckered into it by friends raving about it. Watched....the whole thing, thought it my redeem. It didn't and I was sooooooo mad. Sorry, don't get the Zombie thing....but like the trolls and the ocean so keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see another writer who shares my fear of the Zombie hordes that are terror embodied. If you ever want to see another bit of writing on them, feel free to check out my blog on the fear: http://zombiefear.blogspot.com/

    I promise it is equal parts funny, thought provoking and mundane. Maybe less so mundane - I tend to try to have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Christain Bale's eye wart freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I fear the zombie horde also, and that is why I do a zombie themed post every Friday ...
    @ secretlifeofatownie.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zombies are freakin AWESOME!! I would be like Michonne on the Walking Dead and keep them on leashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Walking Dead is my favorite zombie-themed series/story/movie/whatever. I never liked zombies (they never scared me, really), but there's something to be said about those slow zombies in Dawn of the Dead. Just the fact that they were holed up in a Mall with nowhere to go . . . that was pretty intense. Still, my all-time favorite has to be The Walking Dead just for the rich story and rich characters. Michonne is absolutely the greatest!

      Delete
  8. Cillian Murphy in the Dark Knight is beautiful...in an terrifying sort of way. His completely freaks me out but I'm in a hurry to get the dvd so I can watch him again...I can understand the obsession/phobia situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perhaps why you are one of my favorite authors. Because your level of awesomeness and understanding cannot be matched.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love Labyrinth! And all Jim Henson's darker creations. Zombies no way no how! I absolutely hate them. I can hardly sleep at night for fear of them. Personally I'd rather be attacked by trolls so at least while I am dying I can squeeee in happiness cause they're so cute (hahaha warts, teeth, and all).

    I bought your book, Hallowland from Amazon. Don't know why, I hate zombies, but I ended up reading it and couldn't put it down. After I finished it I thought "What is this magic!?" Because I still don't know how I read it without throwing my kindle out the window cause I was scared a zombie might pop out and bite into my brain (not that I have much of one but still...lol) Anyway, I tip my hat to you. Anyone who can get me to read about zombies deserves an award.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda, how are you?
    It has already started to rush the holiday season, is not it? Despite Christmas being really close to us, Meine Liege is preparing for another time: its anniversary!
    Well! It's been two years, do you believe it? Some blogs and writers accompany Meine Liege since its creation (01/01/2011) and others are coming now. No matter what situation you fit in, thanks to you and your support, Meine Liege is still "alive".
    Thank you!
    Now comes the invitation I wanna do to you! I wish you were part of this important moment in the "career" of the blog. I thought of several ways for you to be included in this celebration. Last year we celebrated with videos of congratulations. This year, maybe something a little different?
    Last year many people told me that they had no means or camcorder to record a video (besides being shy and do not like to appear that way). So celebrate this year in photos! That's right! The idea is you to take a picture congratulating Meine Liege! Use your creativity and feel free about it!
    Ah, but you prefer to record a video? Or an audio? No problem, which can not fail to celebrate it! Record up to a minute, telling your name, your book and your message! Send it to jessy_piratinha@hotmail.com
    Sending photo or video should be done until the day 12/29/2012.
    Your “presence” on this day will be very important to us, really! Please, let’s celebrate together!
    Kisses and huges from Brazil!
    Jessica Asato.
    (www.meine-liege.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Facebook Hot Girls, Most Popular Singer Girls, Top Most Famous Girls in the World.
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most Popular and Famous Vehicles, Latest Speed Cars, Sports Cars Info and Pictures.
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Zombies are awesome and 28 Days Later one of the best. I laughed when you mentioned you're scared of Sam Eagle, because he always made me uneasy as a child. There's just something about him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope your piercings have healed but if they haven't, try using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (aka acne cream) on them. Not only is it an awesome disinfectant, you won't develop an immunity/resistance to it if you have to use it long term.

    The benzoyl peroxide will bleach out clothes so make sure you don't get it (or your ear, until it's dried) in contact with fabric. Also, only use it on piercings in dry areas.

    Love your books!

    -Bet

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a thought provoking post. You writing about what you fear as a way of working through it. I agree entirely about trolls and any small minion...Chuckie freaked me out and any ventriloquism of any kind makes me run for the hills...but you can't go there because there are nuclear zombies there. And what about CORN? everything scary..murderous kids, aliens and whatever the jeeper creeper was live in the corn...even something as "nice" as dead baseball players came out of corn fields...i hate when the corn fields start growing around here. I refuse to stop near them. glad we could share this "fear" blog:) I am going to make sure all the c=doors are locked, and all my pets inside. Then maybe watch Batman...but wait scary things can come out of the television too...dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Make Earning on your Every panels you purchase, Many types of Earning Systems
    <a href= http://bannersbroker.com/MrSanghani17 A

    ReplyDelete
  18. Earn Money on Without Investment, Get Free Online Jobs and Work From home.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get your own home based job in data entry, copy pasting, clicking and different more jobs
    www.jobzcorner.com




    ReplyDelete
  20. Global Ads Business which have 10 Types of Earning System s with 3 Levels Referral Program.
    Want to Join Just Contact : jobzcornerz@gmail.com
    www.globaladsbiz.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Funny Epic Girls, Troll Images of Girls, Girls Funny and Loll, Funny Hot Pictures of Girls
    hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. World's Most Latest Vehicles and Latest Cars pictures, Most speed and Expensive Cars with hot pictures
    worldlatestvehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Best Beautiful Cars, Latest Hot Vehicles, Strange Cars, Super Cars Model, Funny Cars, Car Latest Models, Cars with Girls, Cars like helicopter and Most Speed and Expensive Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. article highly qualified friend .., thanks for sharing information, If do seo for my blog Belajar SEO dan Blog as my blog have 2000+ visitor and I want 5000 Belajar SEO dan Blog Belajar SEO dan Blog Belajar SEO dan Blog Belajar SEO dan Blog Belajar SEO dan Blog

    ReplyDelete